Liposuction can be a great option for removing the stubborn pockets of fat that diet and exercise can’t address. Every body is different and fat distribution and body shape are genetically determined. This means that in some cases, surgery can be used to slim and reshape specific areas of the body by removing excess fat deposits and improving your body contours and shape. Consider liposuction to improve the following areas:
- Abdomen and waist
- Knees, thighs, hips and buttocks
- Upper arms
- Back and bra rolls
- The VASERlipo® Advantage
- The Skin Tightening Advantage
- Renuvion Powered By J-Plasma®
- Fat Transfer
- Your Consultation
- Your Procedure
- Your Recovery
- The Liposuction Procedure
The VASERlipo® Advantage:
- Provides surgeons with advanced technology to create dramatic contouring compared to traditional liposuction
- Enhanced skin retraction for smooth results compared to traditional liposuction
- Treat multiple areas in a single procedure
- Less pain, swelling and downtime than traditional liposuction
- Immediate and precise sculpting vs. non-invasive treatments
Learn More About VASERlipo
Dr. Thomas Crabtree is one of the only plastic surgeons in Hawaii to use the VASER® liposuction method. VASERlipo® uses minimally invasive ultrasound energy to melt fat before it is removed through a thin tube called a cannula. This technique makes the fat easier to remove and can be useful in areas with larger volumes or denser fat. VASER® liposuction is also ideal for correcting abnormalities from previous liposuction. This procedure is less aggressive and allows a faster recovery time.
Dr. Crabtree is now able to offer his unique liposuction procedures in both the clinic setting under local anesthesia and higher volume and HiDefinition Sculpting in the operating room under general anesthesia.
The Skin Tightening Advantage
The major difference in the VASER® liposuction method as compared to traditional liposuction is the skin tightening that happens after the procedure. In the weeks following the procedure, the patient will continue to notice the shrinking and tightening of the areas treated. This is also enhanced by wearing the compression garment that is provided to you at the time of the surgery.
Renuvion Powered By J-Plasma®
To further increase the skin tightening benefit of VASER® liposuction, Dr. Crabtree may use the Renuvion technology powered by J-Plasma® system during your procedure.
VASER® liposuction’s unique method of harvesting fat is perfect to use for fat transfer to other places on the body that before were only treated by dermal fillers. Using the body’s own fat is a more lasting, natural way to achieve a smoother, youthful look on the face or hands and to reduce scarring or deficits due to injury or other trauma. Dr. Crabtree can work with you to plan your procedure to take advantage of this unique treatment.
In the initial consultation, Dr. Crabtree will use the time to get to know you, learn about your expectations and discuss a plan to achieve your goals. He will discuss the different types of liposuction surgery available and what procedure is right for you. You along with Dr. Crabtree will decide whether you will have your procedure done in the clinic under local anesthesia or in the operating room under general anesthesia. Prior to surgery you will have a good understanding of the procedure, plan and recovery. If you decide you are ready to proceed you will set a date for surgery and be given instructions on how to prepare. You will also schedule a pre-operative appointment to review your medical history, take pre-operative photographs, and measure you for your post-surgical garment.
The in-clinic procedure typically takes 1-2 hours depending on the areas being treated. You will be given an oral sedative to relax you prior to surgery. You will also have the opportunity to us our Nitronox machine for additional anesthesia during the surgery. After the surgery is complete, you will be bandaged and put into the post-surgical garment. You will not be able to drive yourself home from the surgery but you will be awake and alert and able to walk without much discomfort.
Operating Room Procedure
You will arrive at the Surgery Center an hour prior to the surgery start time. The actual surgery typically takes an hour and a half to two hours depending on the areas being treated. You will be bandaged and put into the post-surgical garment and moved to the recovery room. You will spend about an hour in recovery before you are allowed to go home. You will not be able to drive home and will be a bit groggy for the remainder of the day. You will be able to walk without much discomfort.
The recovery period will vary with the areas treated by liposuction. You will be bruised and swollen but alert and mobile by the day after the surgery. Continuous use of the post-surgical garment is vital in achieving the optimum results of the surgery. Dr. Crabtree asks his patients to continue wearing the post-surgical garment for at least one to two weeks post op and often longer. The results will be evident immediately but will continue to improve and tighten over the next several weeks to months. You can return to normal daily routines in a few days and be back at strenuous activities in two to three weeks. The incisions are very small and will heal rapidly. Temporary numbness and tingling may take several weeks to resolve. Bruising usually clears up within a week.
The Liposuction Procedure
- Clinic Procedure or Operating Room: Operating Room or Clinic based
- Hospital Status: Outpatient
- Length of Surgery: 1-2 hours, sometimes more for larger areas
- Anesthesia: General Anesthesia performed under the care of a board certified Anesthesiologist or local anesthesia in the clinic.
- Post-Operative: A special garment may be worn for up to two weeks to help with swelling and recovery. Mild soreness, swelling, and bruising are all normal
- Recovery Time: Return to normal daily routine in one week, two to three weeks avoiding strenuous activity. The incisions are very small and heal rapidly. Temporary numbness in the area may take several weeks to return to normal.
- Results: The results will be evident immediately but will continue to improve and “settle” over the course of 3 months.