The mommy makeover is a complementary combination of plastic surgery procedures done to help you get your pre-baby body back. It can include a mix of tummy tuck (to remove loose skin and regain firmness) and breast enhancement (which can include breast lift and/or breast augmentation). Although childbirth is a gift, it can take a lasting toll on the body. To reverse the effects of childbirth, c-section and nursing, patients oftentimes seek surgery to restore their bodies and raise their self-esteem.
A mommy makeover can be ideal for the following:
- Eliminate the excess fat left behind after diet and exercise
- Restore fullness and remove sagginess in the post-nursing breasts
- Reduce the appearance of stretch marks
- Tighten the skin of the abdomen and reduce the “shelf” over a c-section scar
In the initial consultation, Dr. Thomas Crabtree will use the time to get to know you, learn about your expectations and discuss a plan to achieve your goals. He will discuss the different variables of surgery and risks. The mommy makeover involves a combination of procedures to achieve your goals for rejuvenation. Dr. Crabtree will create a plan for your procedure and prior to surgery you will have a good understanding of the procedure, plan and recovery.
Mommy Makeover Options:
One of the most common areas affected by pregnancy and nursing are the breasts. Loss of volume, sagginess and dropped nipple position can be addressed by a breast lift. A breast lift will tighten and lift the breasts giving them a more youthful, perky look with an improved silhouette. An implant may or may not be used in this procedure.
A breast augmentation can address the lack or loss of fullness issue caused by pregnancy and nursing. Adding an implant can create a fuller more youthful breast and help bring back a women’s self-esteem.
Pregnancy causes the muscles and skin to pull apart and stretch. Stretch marks may also be more evident after childbirth. Despite diet and exercise regimens, these problems may still persist. A tummy tuck will tighten the muscles and lift the skin of the abdomen. This may alleviate some of the stretch marks as well as giving a smoother, flatter look to the abdomen. A tummy tuck may also remove the “shelf” of skin over a c-section scar.
Excess fat deposits can show up anywhere on the body after pregnancy weight gain. These areas of fat may persist even after diet and exercise eliminate the pregnancy weight. Liposuction is an great way to address these areas of fat and is often an excellent option to be included in the mommy makeover procedure.
Mommy Makeover Procedure
- Clinic Procedure or Operating Room: Operating Room
- Hospital Status: Outpatient
- Length of Surgery: 3-6 hours depending on combination of procedures
- Anesthesia: General Anesthesia performed under the care of a board certified Anesthesiologist
- Post-Operative: Special garments may be worn for up to two weeks to help with swelling and recovery. In addition, small temporary drains may be placed in existing incisions beneath the skin to remove any excess blood and fluid. Mild soreness, swelling, and bruising are all normal
- Recovery Time: Return to normal daily routine in one week, four to six weeks avoiding heavy lifting and several months for scars to fade.
- Results: The results will be evident immediately but will continue to improve over the course of several weeks.
The combination of procedures done together is unique for every patient. The recovery time may also vary from the above. Dr. Crabtree will explain all of this when making your custom surgical plan.